All content ©2018 Walsingham Development Group (or otherwise with permission)
For all questions and enquiries regarding this website, contact the website administrator by email
Where to find things you might need
Though unusual in the numbers of visitors it attracts, Walsingham is essentially a small rural village in the depths of the North Norfolk countryside, surrounded by farmland (four miles from the coast).
Here we have provided some information about where you will find the nearest facilities and services commonly needed during a visit to Walsingham. You will find plenty more information on individual village shops and businesses in our business directory.
However you’re travelling, by car, rail, bus, coach, bus, taxi, bicycle or on foot, visit our Walsingham travel information page to find out how to get here. Parking information is also available.
We are well provided with superb local food, with an award-winning farm shop selling produce from the Walsingham Estate farms and other local suppliers, sometimes including produce from the village allotments.
Walsingham Village Stores on the High Street stocks everyday essentials plus newspapers, off-licence, dry cleaning, photocopying, national lottery and mobile phone top-up.
For more information, read our full Eat & Drink page.
The nearest chemist and pharmacies are in Wells-next-the-Sea (four miles north) or Fakenham (five miles south).
Nearest petrol stations are in Fakenham, off the roundabout with the A148/A1065 or at Morrisons superstore, or Wells next the Sea, Polka Road adjacent to the Co-op supermarket.
You’ll find local Tourist Information at the Shirehall Museum in Common Place.
There is currently no Post Office in Walsingham. However postage stamps are available at the Village Stores on the High Street.
A Mobile Post Office Service comes to Wells Road, Walsingham (near the Village Hall and Primary School) on Wednesday mornings between 10am and 11:30am.
A wide range of services are available. There is a step into the Mobile vehicle, but an electronic tailgate is available to facilitate easy access for wheelchair users and those with disabilities.
There are post boxes in Friday Market (full size pillar box) and in Knight Street (wall mounted).
Nearest Post Offices are:
Crossways Village Stores
Post Office opening times: Monday 9am-5pm (closed for lunch 1-2pm), Tuesday to Thursday 9am-12.30pm
Wells Next The Sea
Post Office opening times: Monday to Friday 9am-5.30pm (closed for lunch 1-2pm), Saturday 9am-12.30pm
9 Millers Walk
OPEN: Monday 8.30am-5.30pm, Tuesday to Friday 9am-5.30pm, Saturday 9am-12.30pm
Walsingham Farms Shop and Walsingham Village Stores both offer cashback. Nearest ATM/Cashpoints at the Shell petrol station at Fakenham, NR21 9HT, or in Wells at Barclays Bank, or outside the Co-Op NR23 1JG.
In the High Street adjacent to the medieval Abbey Gatehouse. The only Grade I listed public conveniences in the country! Currently still under scaffolding as the parapet is being prepared (as of spring 2018), but still open 24 hours.
Satellite surgery of Fakenham Medical Practice, Cleaves Drive, NR22 6EQ. Open on weekday mornings except Thursdays.
Telephone 01328 820334 (Walsingham) or 01328 851321 (Fakenham) or visit https://fakenham-medical-practice.nhs.uk/
Out of hours: 111
- Bridge Street Dental Surgery — 01328 853555
- Brooklyn House Dental Surgery — 01328 862620
- Wensum Dental Practice — 01328 862363
- PM Clark dental surgery — 01328 710183
Walsingham comes under the Wells Neighbourhood Policing Team. To contact the police, for non-urgent matters dial 101.
Our local officer is PC Jason Pegden.
Places of worship
The Benefice of Walsingham, Houghton and The Barshams is made up of six worshipping communities seeking to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with parishioners, pilgrims and visitors to this beautiful part of North Norfolk.
- St Mary and All the Saints, the parish church of Little Walsingham, mass at 11am on Sundays and Tuesdays, 7.30pm on Thursdays, 9.30am on Fridays and Saturdays
- St Peter, parish church of Great Walsingham, mass at 9am on Sundays, 10.30am on Tuesdays and Fridays
- The Anglican Shrine of our Lady of Walsingham
- The Priory of Our Lady. The Sisters who live at The Priory of Our Lady, are part of the Society of St Margaret. They have their own chapel which is open daily for prayer from 6:30am to after Compline. All are welcome to join the sisters for Mass, followed by coffee in the conservatory, and for any of their Offices. Mass 9:30am daily, except Thursday 9:00am and none on Sundays. They also have a guest cottage.
- RC Parish Church of the Annunciation, mass on Sundays at 10.30am, Holy Days at 7.30am and weekdays at 9.30am
- The RC National Shrine of our Lady, at the Slipper Chapel, Houghton St Giles
- Sunday Service at 2.30pm
- Chapel of St Seraphim, at The Old Railway Station, Little Walsingham. Open daily for prayer
- Church of the Holy Transfiguration, Great Walsingham. Vespers Saturdays 5pm (6pm summer) and liturgy Sundays at 10.30am
- Village Hall on Wells Road, bookings on 01328 822366
- Parish Hall on the High Street, bookings on 01328 820018
- Walsingham Primary School — 01328 820265
- Alderman Peel High School in Wells-next-the-Sea — 01328 710476
- Fakenham High School and College — 01328 862545
Children’s Play Area
The Recreation Ground on Wells Road (The Rec) has long been a feature of the village. Today you’ll find play equipment for younger kids, a fenced astroturf games court, a skateboard run, and a large field for sports.
Contact the Parish Clerk, Joanna Otte via email@example.com
- Norfolk County Council — 01603 222222
- North Norfolk District Council — 01263 513811
- Citizen’s Advice Bureau (Fakenham) — 01328 856040
- Job centre http://www.jobcentrenearme.com
- Fakenham — 01328 862715
- Wells-next-the-Sea — 01328 710467
- Call 0344 8008004 or www.norfolk.gov.uk/recyclingcentres
- Wells-next-the-Sea on Warham Road
- Hempton just past Fakenham heading south on the A1065
- Glass and textiles can be recycled in collection banks in the Mill Car Park, Walsingham (between the Common Place and Coker’s Hill)
- Glaven Valley Veterinary Practice — 01328 711022
- Grove Veterinary Group — 01328 862137
- Summerhill Veterinary Centre — 01328 806063
- Wensum Valley Veterinery Surgeons — 01328 864444
Beach Hut Hire
- Contact Pinewoods Holiday Park in Wells-next-the-Sea on 01328 710439